Monday, August 20, 2007

A blessing or curse?

I've noticed that I've had a lot to say recently. Whether said stuff that wants to be said is interesting, relevant or that it even ought to be cared about is beyond the purview of my judgment. I guess that's up to you to decide. And having thoughts in my head that want to get out—is that a blessing or a curse? I'm not sure. But at least I can post the thoughts here, and my vexation will be moderated.

I feel like I spend a lot of time quibbling. About certain nuances of ideas. About nuances of word choice. Thus the title of the blog. (And yes, it's a nod to Luna Lovegood's father's publication.) It appears to me that there is far too little recognition of nuance in our world today. Our political discourse (while being neither a discourse nor politic) has seemingly lost any nuance. The politicians know they have one shot at a soundbite, and they feel they have to lambaste the other party to be recognized as doing anything productive. Bye-bye, nuance. And then there are a bunch of people that I know are crying, "Just tell me what to believe!" They don't want nuance. They want something easy to follow.

I don't want to come across as snobby. We can chalk the black-and-white vs. gray debate up to personality or upbringing or current environment. Regardless of the validity of a black-and-white perspective, I feel much is lost when we lose nuance. So enough about that. The rambling rants herein will often (and to me, most importantly) be about nuance. Many of them will be one-off shots at making sense of something. Please interact with me, since I've found that my particular nuances usually have gaping holes. Your nuances plus my nuances can help build a better worldview, and I know I'll be the better for it!

No comments: