Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Super Bowl commercials

Here is my deliberately delayed list of faves. The way I see it, since most people are done talking about these sometime around Monday afternoon, I'm going to go against the flow by writing about them on Tuesday night. I appalled that I'm doing something in the interest of consumerism though. But they're funny!

There were two commercials that caught my attention enough for me to keep thinking about them. Oddly enough, they were separated by one other commercial. My favorite of the night was the Bridgestone commercial with dudes cruising (the moon?) and collecting rocks while jivin' to "Jump Around." At first I was infuriated that a tire company was the sponsor of the halftime show. What? Talk about a lame sponsor. (Here I go defending the consumptionplex again.) But they redeemed themselves with an extremely clever, well-executed commercial.

My second favorite was the monster.com feature of the moose in the boss's office. Then you pan around and see he didn't bother to just mount the head. The lackey gets to work straddled by the back legs of the moose. Nice!

I also chuckled at the Taco Bell commercial demonstrating all sorts of fastness when dude calls the girl who just gave him her number and has Taco Bell ready for her. At that moment his parents come to meet her. Clever.

On a sentimental side, I enjoyed the long "then-and-now" commercial. It was expansive and fun. Oddly enough, I don't remember what it was for. The main brands I remember were the VW bus and the Scion/Element vehicle of today.

I know there were others I enjoyed, but these were the ones that stuck in my memory, and that, after all, is what's important.

2 comments:

Nathan Stitt said...

My favorite here, surprised you didn't mention it actually.

John said...

Ah, yes. Good point. I did think of that one. I would say that it was also brilliantly conceived and very effective, if a bit long. It just wasn't quite as laugh out loud funny for me. I think it was the pain wrapped up in each vignette, played again and again.

On a separate, but related note, I'm surprised at the job-finder commercials' emphasis on getting out of a job (between the moose commercial and this one) when this is the worst time to be looking for a job. I guess you sow seeds of discontent to get people to bail and keep your website in business.