Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Heritage and seriousness

As I was working on a project where I happened to skim through the book of Ruth, I caught the phrase "Naomi has a son!"

A flood of thoughts crashed through my mind. One is remembering what Ruth did to Boaz to get her way. (He enjoyed it.) Since when is uncovering Boaz's feet (or more to the point, outright seducing him, which is what she actually did) appropriate for God's holy people? Never mind that Ruth was a foreigner. I think the evangelical/fundamentalist church needs to reconsider its pharisaism. The Bible is not "safe for the whole family"! (That's a marketing claim of a local Christian radio station. Ugh.)

Anyway, that wasn't my point. I'm curious about the human drive for heritage. Naomi was pretty bent out of shape because she didn't have a son, and that's why when Ruth bore Obed, all the women celebrated for Naomi. It's perfectly appropriate in my mind to be bent out of shape about losing your husband and two sons, but there's a deeper drive that sought male heirs in ancient near eastern culture. To the Jewish people, if one didn't have a male heir, they were a persona non grata.

What is it that makes us take ourselves so seriously? One could talk about evolutionary drives or God-given instinct to procreate. But why does it become enshrined in social/moral/religious categories? I'm coming from my own cultural context that would be absolutely unthinkable to other cultures. But I find it fascinating that in order to be a person (at least in Naomi's day), one must have a son.

I myself would enjoy having children someday, but it's more because I want to provide a good example of humanity by shaping a wee one from their earliest days. I have absolutely no drive to pass on my genetics. Maybe that's because I'm a diabetic, and I don't want to burden someone else with that.

I guess my question in this is whether my perspective is totally skewed, or whether there's something I should learn from people in the Bible (or even today) who obsess over having their own offspring. (And don't get me wrong: I hurt for people who feel called to have children, but are unable.) Thoughts?

No comments: