Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Bible rebound





Take that title how you like. Have I been reading a poorly formatted Bible and now I'm jaded, cynical and hurt? Was the breakup messy? Did I say, "I'll never read the Bible again!"? Now I'm on the rebound, reading The Books of The Bible (opens in a new window), and I think we might be together for a long, long time? Well in truth, that's pretty much the case. Sorry to set up the drama, but that's not what this post is about.

Nathan asked if I could post pictures of my copy of The Books of The Bible that was subject to rebinding. A colleague had a local shop bind up a few; some in lambskin, some in hardcover. I'm not sure exactly the price, but I'm guessing it can be done for something in the range of $50-$100, depending on who does it and what cover you choose.

It seems the process involves removing the published cover, adding endsheets, sewing the binding, then gluing the endsheets to the amazing cover. The group that did ours, Rahm Bookbinding in Colorado Springs, did an amazing job. They even foil stamped the name on the spine and added a ribbon.

If you're interested in a beautifully formatted Bible that will last a long time, order a copy here (opens in a new window) for about $15 with shipping. Then pony up the bucks to get it rebound, and you'll have a great Bible. As someone employed by the publisher, I have to say, I think the ones we sell are just fine. (Let the reader understand: This blog in no way represents International Bible Society's views, probably on anything.) However, I didn't throw my copy in a backpack, so as a gentle user, I may not be the best person to vouch for durability. I gave away my Orange Peel copy after about six months of regular use, and it still looked new. Now we're using the leather one, and it's great.

1 comment:

Nathan Stitt said...

That's fantastic! Thanks for humoring me. I've been using my copy for about six months and haven't had any problems with the binding, but then I've babied it. Since our chat last Friday I'm really excited about the upcoming NT edition.

I spoke with my best friend/pastor about everything discussed Friday and showed him the shorter editions on the website. He was excited as well. I think we're going to end up buying Luke/Acts and Ecclesiastes in bulk soon; both for outreach and to give to our graduating seniors. I'll find out more tonight.

Anyways, thanks again. I'm jealous.