Monday, May 5, 2008

Heresy on parade

I'm going to approach this post in a decidedly "What if?" posture. I'm not sure I want to display myself as a heretic, but in keeping with the Quibbling spirit (see first post), this is a great place to process externally and get feedback. Interestingly, I'm sitting in Church History class learning about Luther, and I'm all filled with reforming fire. I'm not presenting any new ideas here, though. Maybe just a slightly different perspective.

This all has to do with universalism, the idea that all will get to heaven. Studying the Middle Ages, I see how jacked almost all of their theology was. In my upbringing, I was taught that Catholics aren't saved. But is that to say that no one was saved from 300 to 1521? A popular Evangelical phrase is "Sincerity never saved anybody." But these people were genuinely sincere and tried their best to do what they knew to get them to God. What is a God of mercy to do?

Before you say that it's obvious that God saves those who believe and behave rightly, let's take a look at Evangelicalism. I sincerely believe that Evangelical theology is as many degrees off as medieval Catholic theology, but just a different direction. How many degrees off is too far off for God?

What about Hitler? Stalin? Tough cases. God can decide that (as well as all our fates). But God is working to recreate human hearts as well as his entire creation. These are some preliminary thoughts. I'll work on some more thoughts. Feed me back.

No comments: