Thursday, January 24, 2008

Orthoprax

The word "orthoprax" popped into my head by analogy from "orthodoxy/orthodox" and "orthopraxy." However, it's not a new word. A Google search yields several hits from various quarters. Some of the most prominent are Judaic sites/blogs. I found this fascinating article about how different religions allocate "orthodox" and "orthoprax" (including whether either word applies to Paganism).

A very interesting claim in the article is that Islam and Judaism are religions of orthopraxy, and Christianity is concerned about orthodoxy. The former two have become religions concerned with right action, while the latter has become centered on right belief. There is obviously crossover between action and belief in each religion, but I have a feeling that we Christians should begin to move back toward a center position between the two. Right belief, while important, is worthless if you're fraught with wrong action. Remember that NT wisdom book, James? Yep, that idea's in there. One thing I would accuse Christians of today (myself included) is trying to get it all right in the head, while ignoring what might be the most important aspect of the life of the assembly of Jesus: redemptive action. Again, such action springs from right belief, but I believe belief can take a supporting role to action. The majority of Christians I have encountered have made belief the end. What action is required other than believing correctly? Oh. Lots more.

I move that we as Christians put a temporary hold on the use of the word "orthodox." We've spent too many centuries caviling about what we believe. If we had spent any significant amount of time _doing_ something, I think the articulation of belief might have fallen in line. So when we see someone doing something good, we should say, "That's very orthoprax!" Once we get our praxis to a healthier level, I'm open to talking about some doxa again.

No comments: