Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Rentals

I heard The Rentals' EP The Last Little Life today. Quite a pleasurable listen. Three songs I'd never heard, and a remake of Sweetness and Tenderness. I was looking forward to hearing the remake, but I wasn't prepared for how different it would be. It's pretty awesome! I didn't like one little dipsy-do the lead singer did toward the end, but the rest of the song was excellent. The thing that made the song for me was a little riff-nod note progression toward the David Bowie song The Man Who Sold the World (covered by Nirvana). I never would have put the two songs together, but I'm glad The Rentals did! My other favorite track from the EP is Little Bit of You in Everything. Okay and the first track, Last Romantic Day, too. What do I like about these songs so much? It's the vocals and the instrumental originality. You can enjoy them in the background for hours, then focus on the sound and enjoy it all the more. The lyrics seem poetic and heart-rendering (not rending, but they do something to your heart), but I haven't gotten past enjoying the background sound to listen to them yet. Highly recommended!

No comments: