Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Did you mean "slaves"?

I was discussing a translation point with a co-worker when I ran across a fascinating tidbit in my Greek lexicon. In the entry for the Greek "doulos," it says the English translation is "slave" with the following caveat: " 'servant' for 'slave' is largely confined to Biblical translation and early American times; in normal usage at the present time the two words are carefully distinguished." So what you're saying is, we're softening the meaning of our position in relation to God because of a political agenda? Still? It made perfect sense to translate "doulos" as "servant" before the 1860s in order to mute the glaring hypocrisy. But now that that's over, why are we still translating it as "servant"? The lexicon states that the two words are carefully distinguished. But why? Isn't it about time we all realized that in some ways God calls us friends; in others, children; in still others, slaves? More importantly, we must realize that in each case he means it.

2 comments:

Gem said...

Hi John,

I really liked your post at Complegalitarian. I enjoyed Rob Bell's books too. They resonate with me. (and I got chastised for it from some quarters... oh well...) so I wanted to drop by your blog and give you two thumbs up! I looked through some of your posts, and you are a sensitive man. Bless you!

Gem said...

PS.

re: your post from compegal

I think we are redeemed through Christ and we are supposed to "return to the Garden" so to speak in our relationship with God and in Christian marriage as well.

Perhaps you could put your post up as a blog entry here?