Friday, February 8, 2008

God's judgment?

Shortly after hearing that Mike Huckabee won primaries in Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia, I heard that a freak superstorm pounded the Southeast with numerous tornadoes in Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky. The states are listed in the order of the number of tornadoes sighted, so this is obvious to me that God is judging these states for selecting Huckabee as their Republican candidate.

Okay, I can't keep up the not-funny joke any longer. But this is exactly the rhetoric we hear from the stereotypical Huckabee supporter. (By this I mean the extreme Christian conservatives the media likes to pick to rile up the masses. I know there are sane Huckabee supporters.) For my part, I grieve the loss of life and livelihood. The story of the woman who made it into her closet in time, but whose husband didn't, breaks my heart.

Since the majority of the "present evil age" ended 1) upon Jesus's defeat of evil on the cross and death and sin at the resurrection and 2) upon the final destruction of the corrupt Jewish Temple regime in AD 70, I don't see much space for God's retributive justice short of the time when he restores all of creation. God's true Israel is spread across the globe, both Jews and Gentiles, and they're bringing life and redemption to a world still marked by death and sin. Some of these true Israelites died in the tornadoes. They die in tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, genocide, terrorist attacks and American bombing raids.

But because I'm logical, here goes: 9/11 and Katrina happened because of gross sin. Why would those states be hit with massive tornadoes and death in such a close time frame if not for gross sin, supporting Mike Huckabee?

Iowa, you're lucky. This time.

No comments: