Sunday, July 13, 2008

Courage and controversy

I was at the mall with my wife today, and I saw a t-shirt that said something to the effect of "Courage is the most important trait of a warrior."

Here comes the controversy: I beg to differ. But you probably knew that already. While it doesn't make a pithy t-shirt quote, in my view, the most important trait in a warrior is that he (or she, perhaps) knows the value of humanity. A true warrior will have a humanizing vision. A true warrior doesn't see the enemy as objects, but as fellow subjects (not subjected to something, but as subjective beings). A true warrior feels so deeply what he is fighting for that it's worth defending at all costs. A true warrior knows what's worth killing for.

The only reason to feel something deeply enough to kill is because it is deeply rooted in one's humanity.  Therefore, killing is undertaken with extreme gravity. Killing takes away someone else's (potential for) humanity, which quite possibly destroys one's own humanity. That's why I put things in terms of what's worth killing for, and not what's worth dying for or worth fighting for. The latter two can be undertaken within oneself with minimal impact on others. But when it comes to taking lives, that is a grave matter.

I should also note that humans have a long history of fighting and killing. For most of our existence, we've been killing for clan groups, hunting territory, water rights, etc. Now we're killing for nations, for resources, for oil. Not much has changed. But for a modern soldier, it's very hard to be the described warrior. I don't discredit a soldier's courage, commitment or sacrifice. They often go willingly to defend their country, fully knowing the consequences. But when a soldier is called to defend an idea, like America or freedom, it's a tough calling. I don't think there's the gravity of humanity in most of the national wars. I see the gravity of humanity in the genocides of Darfur and Rwanda. I see the gravity of humanity in the Husseins torturing and killing athletes for whatever reason. But I don't see the gravity of humanity in preemptively invading with now-known faulty intelligence. I'm sure President Bush agonized over the decision to invade. But the results have been difficult. I've heard from soldiers that have fought in Iraq that we are helping a lot. I've also heard that we're wasting our time and lives on both sides.

I pray that our soldiers are making a positive, human difference. I pray that they can be true warriors.

No comments: