Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Working the soil

It's only 11 am, and I'm going to go ahead and mark today as a crazy day, perhaps even sublimely ridiculous. I got up early to ride three and a half miles with my wife to Chick-fil-A for free breakfast burrito day. Yummy. She caught her bus right outside the restaurant. I proceeded to ride my bike up a hill we have avoided to this point, and I found out why. A true she-dog.

I landed at Starbucks to continue reading Moltmann. I'm disappointed at how little I got read. Some of that was due to my imminent distractability. When I was sitting outside, the drive-thru box drove me crazy. There were two times when no one was at the box over about two hours. Otherwise a constant stream of cars and Deb proclaiming a fabulous day at Starbucks. Maybe gas prices aren't affecting our spending habits that much after all.) When I sat inside, the loud music and the sometimes overly animated people were detrimental. I still made progress for which I am thankful.

When I was done, I asked if they had any spent coffee grounds. The woman handed me a small, but very heavy bag. I asked for another bag to split the grounds, noting that I was riding a bike. That elicited some raised eyebrows and a "Good luck." I split the bags, enjoying the quite pleasant chocolate aroma coming from what consisted mostly of spent espresso pucks. I doubled each bag in on itself and tied the top in a knot. I hung each bag on a handlebar and deliberately set out for home, always conscientious of tearing bags. I made it the two miles home quite nicely.

Arriving home, I had to see exactly how much coffee I had. I guessed 24 pounds. I had 36! This is where the working of the (soon-to-be) soil began. I dumped a bunch of grounds into our compost container, and began mixing everything together. We had some really rich compost going already, but it was very dense and matted together. Hopefully the grounds will not only enrich the nascent soil, but will break it up into much loamier material.

Nwo on to a prdocutvie afetronon! Gosh, it hard to type with your fingers crossed!

No comments: