Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why don't your ride your bike, mister?

Today was a strenuous commuting day. I woke up a bit late. I was hustling to make the bus on time, and I got caught in a gutter area. There was a lot of sand collected from storm runoff, and for all I know, from sanding last winter. I started to swerve a lot, and I finally decided to attempt a stop by putting my foot down. That sent me for a pretty good tumble. My chain fell off, but my heart wasn't free. I had to put that puppy back on and keep moving. I knew I was a bit behind schedule, so I pushed pretty hard. A little more than a quarter mile from the stop, I saw the bus turning to wind its way around to the stop. I pushed even harder. I had to stand up to pedal as hard as I could up the hill. With about 50 yards to go, the bus pulled up to the stop. I finished the course by riding in the bus's lane, so that he wouldn't leave. Turns out he wouldn't have left for about two minutes. And I was beat.

I got to work and had a pretty good day. I left with a good amount of time to make it to the bus stop. However, my rear tire was flat. I had 13 minutes to make it about a mile. No time to change/repair the flat. So I started walking briskly. I kept watch on the time, and I realized a little less than half way there that I would need to run. So I ran pushing my bike and carrying my 20-some pound backpack. I stopped to walk a couple of times, but I knew where the bus was in relation to the stop (having seen it go by). So I had to push hard. Again, the bus pulled into the stop when I was about 50 yards away. Thankfully, the driver paused for me. I don't recall being quite so worn out. Today's treks to the bus stop were two of the four hardest I've ever had. And they happened on the same day. Ugh.

3 comments:

Nathan Stitt said...

You continue to offer compelling reasons why not to bike to work. ;)

John said...

I'd say I'm a pretty good apologist for bike riding. Or maybe I meant the opposite of that. The big problem that causes all the running is the bus schedule. But if you're in range of your school, you should totally ride!

Nathan Stitt said...

It takes 45 minutes to drive there, unfortunately. Or should I say, fortunately!