Friday, July 17, 2009

Sin

Posted as a comment on a friend's blog, but I thought it was a blog post in itself:

Yeah, I'm a sinner. My recent definition of sin is (although I think I shared it with your crew already) "grasping for control beyond the gifts, grace, and sphere of influence given one by God." We are never meant to be able to control how people feel (that nails me as a codependent) or if we've hired them to work for us because they're capable people, we shouldn't control how they work. Direction? Yes. Doing their job for them? Sin. Yes, micromanagement is a sin. It dehumanizes a person to tell them you trust them to create cultural goods, whether hamburgers or products or processes, but then to override their gifts and creativity. Control is at the heart of all that's called sin. Idolatry is saying, "I'll trust you to bring me what I need, but I'll tell you what to bring me." No trust. Only control.

This makes me call most of the "saints" around me sinners, recognizing that we have a whole lot in common.

5 comments:

pBerry said...

If micromanagement is a sin, is it a sin to watch someone else be micromanaged and not do anything?

John said...

Stop playing the Holy Spirit!

I think we discussed this this morning. It probably is a sin, because we should be risking our very lives to follow Jesus. Our lives are in his hands anyway; we might as well act like it. Then the question becomes, how does Jesus want us to confront the powers of evil? Rat on people? Pray? Murder? Etc.? This is where the Christian life gets really difficult. What does following Jesus look like practically?

pBerry said...

Did my costume give me away?

It's your blog man. I'll let you give the answers.

pBerry said...

But I will say, you should get an open ID thing on here so I can login using my wordpress account. I'm actually blogging there these days.

John said...

Awright. Open ID it is.

I did see a dove descending in the shape of Paul Berry. And I want the dove to interact on the questions, since that's what this blogger requests. Sadly, said blogger doesn't have an answer to those questions.