Saturday, August 29, 2009

Black Card

I saw a banner ad for Visa's Black Card. It talks about how exclusive it is and how great it will be for me.

There are three key selling features I see. One is the 24-hour concierge service. It says they will be there to help me with all my travel, leisure, and personal needs. Like my need for a psychiatrist, right? Concomitant with that is access to airport lounges (said access is not defined) and "luxury gifts." Oh, and the 1% cash back on purchases or ability to convert to points. Forgot that unique feature.

Another key feature is the material the black card is made from. It's not plastic. It's made with (not of) carbon, which is "guaranteed to get you noticed." By checkout employees and waitstaff? "Oh look! A credit card!"

The really key selling feature is how exclusive it is to be a Black Card holder. It is limited to 1% of U.S. residents. Where do I call? Now? I certainly want to be part of an exclusive club of 3.3 million people!

The most attractive part of the whole package is that it only costs $495 per year!

I see this appealing to a certain demographic. There will be a small class who finds it useful for the travel benefits, but I'm certain most of these cards will go to people who don't think they're unique enough. The allure of being exclusive and getting noticed is worth $495 a year.

1 comment:

Kevin Beck said...

I've been blacklisted. Does that count?