Monday, August 10, 2009

Offensive Jesus

I saw one of those wonderful (for various reasons) illustrations of Jesus helping out in a sporting event at Burnside Writers' Blog.

My first comment queried whether the poor defender hadn't prayed hard enough, as the boy on offense was obviously on the cusp of an incredible play. But then I thought, in this whole genre of photography (I've revised the medium), I've never seen Jesus helping a defender. I'm very curious why this is.

I know there are theological underpinnings to this. I propose it is because we see Jesus as one who helps us accomplish positive acts. We typically celebrate defensive failures by watching replays of monster home runs, thunderous dunks, and impossible touchdown catches. We fantasize ourselves in terms of great accomplishments like these, especially spiritual slam dunks that only Jesus could accomplish through us. (*retching*)

But we view defense as the thwarters. If they're going to get any help, it's coming from a dude with a pointy tail. Nobody wants a thwarting Jesus.

No comments: