Thursday, January 14, 2010

Agenda item

As I walked by the checkout magazines (not the tabloids, but close), I laughed out loud. As a result of a difficult and truly admirable decision by the Palin family, the headline emerges: "We're Glad We Chose Life." Of course now they're even more the pro-life darlings. It's an amazing political move to use "choose life" on that public stage. I'm unquestionably pro-life and more so than most. (No killing old people, unborn babies, poor people in Africa, prisoners, terrorists, etc.) But I can't stand the unsubtle positioning statement. I would have liked the Palins if they would have said, "We like our new baby." It would be a self-conscious nod to a precious life and not a dehumanizing political statement at the expense of the poor child.

No comments: