Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yet another Haiti post

I can't believe how bad it sucks. And that's an understatement beyond any before. Haiti has been pointed at as one of two (if I remember correctly) fourth world countries. Poverty is so awful as to be inhuman, and while infrastructure per se is not necessary to be human, Haiti's attempts at infrastructure seem to have worsened the poverty. Now with the devastation of the earthquake and aftershocks, it's impossibler to describe. (I have to make up words because I can't find expression?)

I don't have a great plea to make, but merely an observation on how this impacted me. I'm so far removed from what's happening, and I guess I don't have the ability to process it, that I can only turn inward and see what God may do in my heart.

This happened as I listened to All Things Considered on NPR. They interviewed a gentleman named Pierre Brisson. He very articulately set out what happened and the current situation. He admitted that his composure stemmed from the fact that he is still in shock from the devastation and from losing so many friends, and indeed the entire country is in shock.

I hadn't had a strong emotional reaction I think because of the enormity of the situation. Any emotions are inadequate to do justice to the grief that should be had. But the last comment from Mr. Brisson brought tears to my eyes because of the plea from one human: "Please ask everyone you know to pray for us. Pray for this country. We have suffered too much. Enough is enough now."

He started with the common plea, and yet the only thing most of us can do in these moments: pray. But his voice rose as he cried out against the injustice of it all. His last sentence calls to mind the evils of self-serving bureaucrats pillaging their nation, the resulting poverty, and the complete inability to deal with this disaster. The steely emotion in Mr. Brisson's voice as he was supposed to be saying, "And you have a nice day as well, Michelle," was fitting of an ancient psalmist crying out to YHWH, "How long will this go on? Do you even care?"

My heartfelt prayer is that the good Creator will bring his re-creating power to this people he dearly loves as an advance sign of the age to come and justice for people who have suffered for way too long. All our hands will accomplish this as our prayers and God's power work together for the glory of the Creator.

No comments: