Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Flat!

And again. And again!

Yesterday morning on my way to the bus stop, I got a flat on my front tire. Thankfully, I was close, so I didn't take time to fix it. I made it to work, and it turns out it was unfixable. The valve stem was coming loose from the tube. So a friend drove me to the store to get a new tube.

Everything was kosher till this morning when my tire went flat again, this time a little further from the bus stop. I ran for a bit (with my bike and backpack), since I needed to get this bus to make it to a dentist appointment. I didn't have the heart (or the legs) to go all the way around to the bus stop, so I trespassed through a construction area. I made it on time, thankfully.

After the dentist, I tried to fix the tire. I heard some air escaping near the valve stem (again). I took it apart again, and after putting it together, it seemed stable. I started riding up the sidewalk, watching it carefully. I made it about half a mile before it deflated again. I tried to simply pump it up since that seemed to work the last time. It wasn't working at all. A kind young woman in a Prius pulled up to see if I needed help. I asked if she could give me a ride, and she agreed. I think I'll trade my bike in for a Prius. Anybody know the trade in value?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John--Even though Priuses are cool, bikes are still way cooler! The good thing is, flats seem to come in bunches--I'll get 2 in one ride then I won't get another one for a couple thousand miles. If you are getting punctures at the same point in the tube, it would probably be good to stop by a shop to see if there is a problem with your wheel or in your technique for removing the pump from the tube after pumping it up. That kind of problem is actually more common that you might think.