Monday, June 23, 2008

The ground of evil

My head is swimming with a few thoughts from my SysTheo lectures. (I never dreamed I would say that, disliking my previous Systematics experience so much.)

One incidental idea dealing with the topic is the fact that when Adam and Eve sinned, they didn't become sinners; they died. While "sinner" is a theological category with some merit, given that the word is used in the Scriptures, I'm wondering if it has become a useless word. The fundamentalist leanings of our society created a backlash against the word, and now it is in such disfavor among the culture we are trying to reach that I think we should drop it. I would characterize its use as nitpecking. Nitpicking would be a bit more genteel and productive, even though it's annoying. The church has tended to behave like a woodpecker on the heads of so many unsuspecting "sinners." If we addressed sin and evil at its root, it would be immensely more helpful (and threatening, too, because then our own sinful hearts would be revealed). Maybe in a generation or two "sinner" can become a useful word again.

The major thought from the class that struck me is that the reason Israel has had such a rough go of it throughout history is because she is in intimate relationship with the holy Creator God. (There's a side point where they suffer vicariously for the rest of humanity, which is fascinating, but not the point here.) If Israel had been left to herself, she would have gone on like the other nations, moderately evil, but appearing mostly good. However, God came near, and as he placed covenant demands on her, they kept trying to throw off the yoke. "Leave us alone! Weren't we better off back in Egypt anyway?" The amazing part of all this is, God still relentlessly pursued Israel. She kept trying to get away, but God rode the spiral all the way down with her. Only at her death did resurrection become an option.

The reason this rocked my world is I see this pattern in my own life. I always wondered why despite being married to my wonderful wife, my eyes still wander/wonder after other women. I think this is exactly the reason. Before I was covenanted with God and Susan, I was moderately evil, but appearing mostly good. There was no real reason to be concerned about appreciating an attractive woman (physical or otherwise). Wasn't that, after all, the way I knew who I wanted to ask on a date? But now in the holiness of our marriage, my heart is being revealed as deceitful and beyond cure. (Is this a surprise? I think Jeremiah called it. I've just never been willing to admit it.) This is the beauty of marriage, fallen though we are, that God uses it to sanctify us. Paul had that odd note in 1 Corinthians that the unbelieving spouse is sanctified through the believing spouse. For those who let it happen, marriage will reveal their wickedness and drive them to the Creator for reconciliation.

No comments: